Sunday, December 8, 2013

Grumpy Days

I pigged out on processed junk Friday night and earned myself a sudden, horrible migraine.  Ended up at our local urgent care and got a combo shot of Phenergan/Demerol in my rear.  Of course it knocked me and the migraine out (yay!), but it also made me drowsy for the entire next 24 hours, which I wasn't planning on.

Yesterday I spent most of the day in and out of sleep.  When I wasn't sleeping, I was eating.  Eating LOTS of contraband stuff:  pizza, sandwiches, cookies, candy, etc.  Horrible!  But you know what?  I was happy that I woke up this morning feeling much better and ready to get back on track.  Made breakfast for the girls (scrambled eggs and fruit) and sunny side up eggs with sesame bread for me.

I'd love to get back to the gym today, but we are getting some nasty weather right now--ice and freezing rain.  YUCK!  Maybe a little bit later today, I'll have a chance to sneak out and get some cardio and strength training in.



In case anyone was wondering, here is my "plan":

Diet:
I eat "clean".  Nothing processed, nothing unnatural.  That means no artificial sweeteners, no preservatives, nothing on ingredient lists that I've never seen or heard of.  Lots of fruits and veggies, lean protein and complex carbs.  Now, that doesn't mean that I eat clean perfectly, as I'm still learning, but it's a process.  On the days I follow my plan closely I feel 100% better than when I eat processed.  I NEVER thought I would be one of "those" people who eats this way and says food makes a difference, but here I am.  I don't starve, I'm rarely hungry after meals.  I eat MANY small meals a day.  Cravings for most junk foods are gone.  It's not an overnight thing, it definitely takes work.  I do meal prep on Sunday afternoon/evening.  Failing to plan for the week will end in eating failure for me, so I make sure I have everything ready to go.  I also make sure I'm drinking a TON of water throughout the day, especially when I've worked out.

Exercise:
I do thirty minutes of cardio and thirty minutes of weight lifting for three days, then one day of "active" recovery.  I try to change it up so it doesn't become a chore.  One day I might do just a straight 30 minutes on the stationary bike with 30 minutes of circuit training.  My favorite (love/hate) class right now is American Family's Build and Burn, which incorporates weight lifting with cardio.  It kicks my butt, but gets everything in that I need in an hour.  Being in a class like that keeps me accountable, and I'm less likely to wimp out.

So far, I've lost 12 pounds and 4 inches (in my waist).   I'm expecting the weight to start to taper, especially as I continue the weight training.  We all know that muscle weighs more than fat, so while I might actually be losing weight, I'm gaining some muscle and I'm STOKED about that!  That's why I'm keeping track of my waist size.  A little extra motivation.  :)

I'm very new to all of this, but if you have any questions, please ask!

2 comments: